Drug Abuse vs. Drug Addiction
Many people tend to use the phrases “drug abuse” and “drug addiction” interchangeably, but these two issues are somewhat different. While they are both harmful and will almost always lead to issues with one’s health, family, and career, it is important to understand the difference between these problems to treat them effectively. Located in the State of Washington, the friendly staff at Free by the Sea is ready to help anyone struggling with drug abuse or a full addiction.
Serving the Nation, based in the Pacific Northwest.
The Difference Between Drug Abuse and Drug Addiction
A person does not necessarily need to be addicted to a drug to still have problems with using drugs. These individuals are often referred to as “high-functioning” when they hold jobs and are even part of loving relationships. On the outside, it may seem as if drug use is not affecting them, but it can still be causing some major problems just under the surface. The condition is called drug and alcohol abuse and is not classified as an addiction.
Drug and Alcohol Addiction Defined
A drug addiction is slightly different and is often seen to be much more dangerous. Those who are physically addicted to drugs and alcohol actually have no control over their use. Their urge to use drugs or alcohol is so overwhelming that it often debilitates every other aspect of their life. An addict’s social, physical, and psychological well-being will often fall by the wayside as drug use takes complete control over their life.
Symptoms of Drug Abuse
Drug abuse and drug addictions do share many of the same characteristics and risks, but it is important for a specialist to be able to accurately identify a patient’s own problem to come up with an effective solution. No matter whether you are a full addict or a high-functioning user who would like to take back control of your life, the team at Free by the Sea can help.
Some Common Symptoms of Drug Abuse
- Deteriorating work or academic performance
- Disregard for personal appearance
- Legal problems stemming from drug use
- Financial problems related to drug use
- Deteriorating personal relationships
- Inappropriate or unaccountable personality changes
Symptoms of Drug Addiction
- Poor memory or mental confusion
- Cannot stop using drugs despite negative repercussions
- Chronically red eyes and problems with motor skills
- Putting the need to acquire drugs over all other activities
No single treatment is right for every person, so our staff takes the time to understand your own unique situation before coming up with a plan of action. The most effective treatments will always be those that adapt to each person to produce lifelong results.
Even with high-functioning abusers, drug use is not a standalone problem separate from one’s personal relationships or career. Every aspect of a drug abuser’s life will play a role in these diseases. Instead of simply attacking the side effects of drug use, we uncover and treat the underlying causes. Without this approach, the chance of relapsing remains high, and you may find yourself thrust back into the cycle of abuse and addiction once again.
Free by the Sea is a beautiful campus, located on the Long Beach Peninsula in Ocean Park, WA. Our community of dedicated professionals are committed to provide care to all individuals with dignity and respect. Client centered care respectful of individual needs and concerns is the foundation of our approach. We adhere to evidence-based practices which are focused on successful outcomes for long term recovery. Services provided include:
- 77 treatment beds.
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselors, including licensed Mental Health Therapists.
- High quality evidence-based addiction treatment, including gambling.
- DBT, CBT, EMDR and trauma informed treatment addresses underlying issues of addiction that include depression, anxiety, self-esteem and relationships.
- Relapse Prevention, Life Skills, Addiction education provided in groups and individual sessions
- Twelve step meetings include celebrate recovery, wellbriety, dual disorder and AA/NA/GA
- We offer residential, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient levels of care.
- Peaceful and safe setting located on five acres facing the Pacific Ocean.
- Multi-sport areas that include volleyball/basketball courts and an exercise room.
- Nutritionally designed meals to restore health
Don’t Wait. Call Today.
You may have many reasons for not seeking professional treatment, but every day spent under the control of drugs or alcohol is one more chance for these chemicals to cause irreversible damage. Left untreated, a drug or alcohol addiction can ruin your life. Please call us today at (360) 777-7050 for additional information regarding the help we have available for you at Free by the Sea.
Contact Free by the Sea
Our friendly, experienced, and empathetic team is only a phone call away to help anyone with the courage to take back control of their life. Located in the State of Washington, Free by the Sea is a drug and alcohol recovery facility that can help you finally break free from the cycle of addiction. Contact us today.