Support Groups in Washington State
At Free by the Sea in the State of Washington, we provide support groups for people who are currently going through alcohol or drug rehabilitation treatment. These support groups work to help those who are on the road to recovery from addiction. They also help individuals who are dealing with the effects of mental illness in addition to substance use recovery.
What is a Support Group?
A support group is a group of people that have similar beliefs and goals. It’s a community of individuals who are working together to achieve a common goal. As it relates to addiction recovery, a support group is a community of people who are all working to remain free from alcohol and drug abuse.
It is important to note that support groups do not consist of people who are all the same. These groups do not involve several people who have the same backgrounds, experiences, and stories. Instead, these groups consist of individuals who have unique and specific lives, people from different backgrounds and environments. But each individual in a support group is moving in the same direction: toward recovery.
Support groups strive to encourage and inspire sobriety. They work to assist recovering individuals in developing interpersonal skills, relapse prevention skills, and trigger management skills.
The Importance of Support Groups in Addiction Recovery
While working to overcome addiction, people should seek the help and support of others for several reasons. Some of the reasons why support is so critical in recovery include the following:
- Support groups provide accountability. This is an extremely vital component of recovery. Individuals who have an accountability system in place are likely to remain on track as they pursue sobriety. Accountability also instills trust, a value that is often lost while a person is suffering from addiction.
- Support groups give people the strength to face the challenges and difficulties of recovery. It can be overwhelming and, sometimes, even impossible to deal with these challenges alone. This might especially be the case in early recovery. But, those who are a part of a support group can have help and encouragement from those around them.
- Support groups provide acceptance and understanding. These are both very important to find while in recovery. Unfortunately, many people do not encounter much acceptance or understanding while dealing with addiction. Family members and friends may not know exactly how to help and may misunderstand the struggles a person experiences while living with substance abuse. Some families may even separate from their struggling loved ones. Often, addiction leaves individuals in a place of isolation and loneliness. Thankfully, many people find support, guidance, inclusion, and understanding during treatment. Support groups help people to find a nurturing and healthy environment, even after treatment is over.
- Support groups encourage emotional growth. Individuals can gain more self-confidence and become more in tune with themselves by interacting with and learning from others. By surrounding themselves with supportive people, recovering individuals can become more comfortable with their personal journeys.
More Benefits of Support Groups
Some of the other advantages of support groups in addiction recovery include the following:
- Support groups provide a safe space for recovering individuals.
- They encourage individuals to open up and discuss their feelings.
- Support groups expose people to “healthy peer pressure”.
- These groups help to let people know that they are not alone.
- Groups can inspire and motivate individuals throughout recovery.
Having support throughout the recovery journey is one of the most important things an individual can do. So, it’s best to consider this option for yourself!
Support Groups for Co-Occurring Disorders
When a person is affected by both substance addiction and a psychiatric disorder, the path to recovery is much more difficult than just detoxing and going through rehabilitation therapy. Due to the unique challenges that individuals experience while living with co-occurring disorders, a comprehensive plan of treatment is necessary to ensure the best results. Such a program offers several helpful services, such as the following:
- Continued psychotherapy
- Life skills classes
- Managed medication
- Training for relapse prevention
- Support groups for self-help
- Aftercare programs
Many patients who have been given a dual diagnosis often find that their lives have changed dramatically, which makes them feel the need to start life anew once treatment is over.
About Aftercare Programs and Relapse Prevention
Programs for aftercare offer guidance to patients throughout this difficult time by providing community-based support, vocational counseling, and referrals for therapy. Patients can also take advantage of courses that teach them important life skills, which helps them to more effectively and efficiently handle their everyday tasks and responsibilities.
Relapse prevention training and support groups help teach patients how best to deal with the coming years following rehabilitation therapy. Organizations such as Cocaine Anonymous, Dual Recovery Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and Alcoholics Anonymous have their roots in the classic 12-step recovery program, and individuals can attend meetings all over the country, both online and within their own communities.
Free by the Sea is proud to offer a wide array of valuable and essential resources for individuals who have been given a dual diagnosis. The services we offer guide each patient through the process of detoxification, rehabilitation, and aftercare with the highest degree of support, helping them experience a smoother, more comfortable recovery. Located on the Long Beach Peninsula in Ocean Park, Free by the Sea provides patients with a peaceful, soothing, and quiet environment that keeps stress at bay and supports a successful recovery.
About Free by the Sea
Here at Free by the Sea, we work to help our clients overcome their struggles with addiction. Our goal is to encourage each individual to find hope and freedom through addiction recovery. We strive to provide the very best of care, services, and resources for each and every individual who comes to us for help.
Located on the Long Beach Peninsula in Washington, our gorgeous campus creates an inviting and comforting environment for those who are struggling with addiction. Serving as a beacon of hope to individuals who are suffering from the disease of addiction, Free by the Sea works to provide people with the resources they need in order to end addiction for good.
Our addiction treatment facility holds 77 treatment beds, offering space for many individuals to overcome the effects of addiction in their lives. We offer an inpatient, residential treatment program which allows recovering individuals to escape the unhealthy environments that may surround them when they are living at home. This type of treatment works to address the needs of those who are struggling to remain free from substance use. People who may have used drugs or alcohol excessively can find the strength they need in order to avoid relapse.
Our team here at Free by the Sea is complete with certified addiction counselors. We also employ licensed professionals who can help those living with mental health disorders. Additionally, our programs address various types of addiction, including the following:
- Prescription drug abuse
- Heroin abuse
- Cocaine and crack abuse
- Crystal meth abuse
- Marijuana abuse
- Gambling addiction
Also, throughout the treatment programs here at Free by the Sea, we include different therapeutic approaches. These include dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), trauma-informed therapy, and more. With the help of therapy, individuals can receive treatment and help in dealing with low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, relationship challenges, interpersonal interactions, and more.
Therapy and Other Components of Treatment
Therapy can also gain relapse prevention skills from the resources involved in addiction treatment. While in group therapy sessions, individuals can gain confidence and encouragement throughout the recovery journey. Group therapy helps recovering individuals to identify with others who are also working to overcome substance dependence. This can help to develop healthy support systems in people’s lives.
Finally, we incorporate fun in our treatment programs! Clients can engage in sports and exercise while here at our facility. Our multi-sport areas include volleyball and basketball courts as well as an exercise room. Being able to participate in physical activity while in treatment enables individuals to improve their physical, mental, and emotional health, all while enjoying the company of others and building teamwork and interpersonal skills.
Contact Free by the Sea for Addiction Treatment!
It can be difficult to know where to get started when it comes to getting treatment for addiction. Some individuals may even begin wondering if they should get help at all. It may be overwhelming to think about the path that lies ahead as you begin to consider addiction rehab.
But, please know that there are so many good reasons to enroll in a substance addiction treatment center and attend a support group. Alcohol and drug addiction become steadily worse over time, and without prompt and professional treatment, it can take away everything important in your life. We urge you to call our office today to discover more about how Free by the Sea can help you take back your life.
Please contact one of our admissions counselors right away to find out more information about how support groups at Free by the Sea can guide you or someone you love along the difficult road of recovering from substance addiction and a psychiatric disorder.