Partial Hospitalization Program
What is a Partial Hospitalization Program for Addiction Treatment?
Partial hospitalization program (PHP) is a program designed for addicted individuals that are in need of advanced medical, mental care. Individuals in a partial hospitalization program get extensive care, including medical treatment and monitoring. This all happens during the daytime hours, but the individual goes home for the night. If you or a loved one is looking for an addiction treatment center, check us out at Free by the Sea, which is a caring and compassionate environment for treatment needs.
Partial hospitalization programs are usually offered once an individual has successfully finished an inpatient program. This program is usually for people needing more than just an outpatient program. It is an intensive program with the convenience of sleeping at home.
In a partial hospitalization program, also known as PHP, the program requires the patient to be at the recovery center for 4 to 5 days a week with a minimum of approximately 5 hours a day. PHP is a program in which a person receives the comprehensive treatment of an inpatient recovery center while still enjoying and residing in the comforts of your own home.
Partial Hospitalization: Therapies During Treatment
Programs for partial hospitalizations offer programs such as:
- Medical care – when a patient is in need of medical attention but does not need inpatient services partial hospitalization is a superb option. The individual gets all their care with the convenience that they get to go home each night.
- Group counseling – this type of counseling is in a group type of setting with all individuals going through the same situation of struggling with addiction. This therapy is offered during partial hospitalization programs to enhance the therapy experience for the individual.
- Individual therapy – During your partial stay at the PHP center, you will receive individual therapy. This therapy is a one-on-one therapy to help the individual cope with life’s challenges and the obstacles that come up during life and to help the individual recover from addiction.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy – This therapy is to help individuals with their coping skills and to recognize unhealthy patterns.
Services Provided for Partial Hospitalization Programs
Before the program for the partial hospitalization begins, an evaluation of the patient’s medical history and addiction history is performed. This helps determine the right care for the patient. Some of the services provided at the recovery center for partial hospitalization are:
- Services for medical needs. These services are performed by medical professions. They monitor medical conditions and treat physical addiction complications and tend to the patient’s medical needs.
- Management of medications is another service provided at the recovery center for PHP. In addition to regular prescriptions, the patient might have a medical professional administer drugs that may help with withdrawal symptoms. They can also administer prescriptions that may help with anxiety and insomnia.
- Individual therapy is another protocol during PHP. A psychiatric professional will meet with the patient to talk about past problems in their lives and to talk about unhealthy habits the individual might be doing to impede the recovery process.
- Detox services are other services that may be offered at a program for partial hospitalization. Detox is where the patient is medically monitored while the chemicals from their body are released, and the patient is abstaining from the substance. In some instances, this may require medications.
- Group therapy is another service offered in PHP. This type of therapy can be beneficial for individuals needing help with life skills and coping skills.
- Planning for the future and aftercare programs are other programs that are offered. In this particular service, the staff helps the individual with their future plans and aftercare programs to help keep them sober. They help them with finding support groups and helping them to have a substance-free home.
- There are facilities that offer a holistic approach. This may include yoga and fitness. Physical fitness can definitely help individuals with their mental state and help them feel good, both emotionally and physically.
- Art therapy is a therapy that helps the patients express their feelings in a unique and positive way.
- Nutrition is essential to health. Helping people discover nutrition and getting their bodies in top shape is another therapy that is offered in programs for partial hospitalization.
- Family counseling. This is where there are counseling sessions for the whole family to help them understand addiction and what to expect during the process. This type of therapy helps build up the patient’s support system at home and within their community.
- Many partial hospitalization programs provide drug screening to their patients.
- Motivational enhancement therapy is a therapy that helps the patient who is reluctant to get sober.
- 12-step programs are recovery meetings that help patients stay sober after treatment and therapy.
- Jobs skills training is another program that is offered by some PHP facilities to help patients gain job skills while in treatment.
The Length of Treatment
The length of treatment is personalized to each individual and their unique needs. The average length of the stay is approximately 4 or 5 days a week for approximately 5 hours per day.
In some cases, the individual might be at the recovery center 7 days a week. The average hours per week is approximately 20 to 30 hours. This program may be from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. The average stay is approximately 3 weeks.
PHP is Best Suited for:
- People requiring medical attention
- People who remain off drugs while away from the recovery center
- Individuals who are addicted for longer periods of time
- Individuals coming off an inpatient program
- Individuals who are addicted to more severe drugs
- Individuals who have an essential active home support structure
- Individuals who have a calm and reliable home that is stable
- People who have reliable transportation
- Individuals who need a more intensive program
- People who have been victims of abuse
- People with traumatic experiences
- People who have problems in the workplace or in their school environment
PHP, also known as day programs, are not only for people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol. These day programs can also be very helpful for people with others who may be struggling with mental health, as well as people with a dual diagnosis. Partial hospitalization programs are located in some recovery centers. Hospitals are also joining in the day programs to help people with addiction.
Partial Hospitalization Programs for Dual Diagnosis
There are some programs for partial hospitalization that include dual diagnosis treatment. A person who has both a mental disorder and is addicted to drugs can benefit from a co-occuring treatment. This program can help the patient heal both disorders for a healthy and complete recovery.
PHP vs. Inpatient or Other Outpatient Programs
Outpatient programs are programs where the patient stays in their home and has less intensity than inpatient programs. Outpatient programs are for people who have a less severe addiction and less severe withdrawal symptoms. The average length of time for an outpatient program is a few times a week, and a minimum of a couple of hours per day. The average length of the programs is approximately three months but can last up to a year.
Outpatient programs are great for people who have to continue to work. In these instances, the individuals can have their outpatient therapy after work or during the day before they go to work. Outpatient programs can be in conjunction with inpatient programs and PHP programs. If you or a loved one is looking for an outpatient program, here at Free by the Sea, we offer excellent intensive outpatient programs.
Inpatient programs require the individual to stay at the hospital or recovery facility during treatment. Inpatient programs are also called resident treatment programs. The individual receives 24/7 care, monitoring, and support, which includes care from psychiatric professionals and medical professionals. During the day, the patient is in a therapy session. This is the most intensive program.
The team of individuals caring for inpatient patients includes:
- Marriage counselors
- Fitness professionals
- Case clinical managers
- Continual care coordinators
- Licensed addiction counselors.
Inpatient programs are great for people who need 24/7 care and monitoring, intensive treatment, and people with medical conditions.
They are also beneficial for people with severe addiction, people on severe drugs, and people without a home support system.
Benefits of a Partial Hospitalization Program
With partial hospitalization programs, you get the best of both worlds. In this program, you get intensive care at a hospital or recovery center but you are able to go to sleep and reside in the comfort of your own home. In the day program, you are in the center for most of your day getting the treatment needed to get better.
This program may be the next step directly after detox or after a more intensive inpatient program. The day program is less intensive than the inpatient program and a step down from the inpatient program. This is often a convenient choice for individuals who need less intensive therapy than an inpatient patient but requires a more intensive program than what an outpatient program provides.
An individual may be in the program for partial hospitalization because they may have relapsed in their recovery process and need a more intensive program. In this instance, the patient’s condition will have to be stabilized again. Treatments may also include educational classes about drugs and alcohol, in addition to their therapy routine.
Looking for a PHP Facility
When looking for a facility with partial hospitalization programs, here are some things to look for:
- Make sure the facility has licensed psychologists and mental health professionals.
- Make sure the facility itself is licensed.
- Make sure the facility has licensed nurses and physicians.
- Check out the online reviews from former patients.
- Make sure there is enough staff to facilitate your needs.
- Make sure they have a quality staff.
- Make sure the facility has the therapy options you require to get sober.
Get the Help You Deserve Today!
Whichever treatment option you choose that is best for you or a loved one will be beneficial in helping to achieve a lifetime of sobriety. Addiction is a brain disorder, and chronic illness and rehab is mandatory for achieving sobriety. Contact us here at Free by the Sea for all your treatment needs.