Preparing for Change
What To Pack
Choosing to reach out for help is typically a very difficult thing to do. So, those who are suffering from addiction often have trouble asking for assistance in overcoming these issues. Still, despite the obstacles that may have stood in your way, you decided to take a step toward recovery by seeking treatment. Regardless of the process that it took to get you to this point, you are here!
Now that you have made the decision to get treatment for substance dependence, you may be facing some uncertainties and challenges that you have never experienced before. It can be hard to know what to do as you proceed through these uncharted waters.
One of the uncertainties you may be dealing with now is the question of how to prepare for treatment. It goes without saying that there are things you should and shouldn’t bring with you to treatment. While some of these items may seem obvious, others may not be as clear. So, having a list of what to bring and what not to bring can be very helpful!
Below, we offer a list of items we encourage you to bring with you as you come to Free by the Sea for treatment. We also provide a list of things we do not permit or suggest that you bring with you.
What To Bring to Rehab
The following list includes items you should bring with you for your stay at Free by the Sea.
- Enough comfortable clothing to last for a week. Our treatment center is on the southwest Washington coast and is typically cooler than inland communities no matter the season. Bring casual clothing (jeans, sweatshirts) that can be layered according to the season and temperature. Pack for both indoor and outdoor activities. Laundry facilities are available on site.
- Clothing that is appropriate and in good taste (no racial slurs or references to sex, drugs, or alcohol)
- Gym clothes and athletic shoes
- Rain gear and a light jacket
- Sweaters and sweatshirts
- A bathrobe (optional), slippers, and pajamas
- Personal care items, including a toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, deodorant, shaving supplies, shampoo, conditioner, makeup, etc. Do not bring items containing alcohol, such as mouthwash, perfume, cologne, aftershave, etc.
- Your health insurance card and state ID card
- Current prescriptions in their original containers
- Cigarettes if you smoke
- Vaping is allowed; but make sure vape juice is new and unopened
- MP3 players (non-wireless/internet connected devices)
- Anything that will make you feel as though this is your home away from home (photos, books and magazines, a favorite blanket or pillow)
What to Leave Behind
Please leave the following items at home.
- Laptop computers, cell phones, and cameras (electronics are not allowed during the residential phase of treatment)
- Jewelry and other valuables
- Guns, knives, or other weapons
- Illegal substances
- Any item containing alcohol, including mouthwash, perfume, cologne, aftershave, etc.
- Food, candy, and drinks
Addressing Your Concerns
No doubt, you are excited about this next step in your life. Beginning a new chapter that leads to health and freedom is something you can look forward to. But, like many others who are taking the first step toward recovery, you may have some concerns.
It is not uncommon to feel a little unsettles or uncertain as you prepare for treatment. Still, it may be helpful to have some of your concerns addressed. Here at Free by the Sea, we truly understand the importance of having peace of mind throughout the recovery process.
So, from the very beginning, we strive to work with you and offer as much comfort as possible. Some of the concerns you may have as you start your path to addiction recovery may include the following:
- How do I know treatment will actually help me?
- Will my treatment program address my specific needs?
- How long will my recovery process take?
- What will my life be like once treatment is over?
If these or any other questions are circulating your mind, please know that we are here for you! We understand that each individual is different and has varying life experiences. This is why our staff here at Free by the Sea works to provide guidance and clarity to each individual who comes to us for help.
Will Treatment Help?
Addiction treatment is designed to help those who suffer from alcoholism and drug abuse. It works to make recovery accessible and possible for those who are struggling. Substance dependence and addiction can have horrifying effects on a person’s life, causing pain and discomfort in more ways than one. But this is why treatment is important.
Regardless of how long you’ve been suffering from addiction, the impact it has had on your life is undeniable. Treatment offers individuals the opportunity to find healing, support, and hope throughout recovery.
Treatment for addiction aims to give people the tools they need to avoid relapse and stay on track, both during and after treatment. So, it is very likely that a professional addiction rehab program will, in fact, be beneficial for you.
Will My Treatment Program Address My Specific Needs?
Each person is different and will have varying needs for recovery. Here at Free by the Sea, we are dedicated to making sure each of our clients has what they need to overcome addiction. We do not use a “one-size-fits-all” approach as we realize the ineffectiveness of this method.
Instead, we work to identify your personal challenges and needs. Whether you are struggling with multiple addictions or a dual diagnosis of mental illness and substance use disorder, we are here to help you.
How Long Will My Recovery Process Take?
Recovery itself is a life-long journey that you can enjoy as you live without addiction! As you run toward a sober and drug-free life, your recovery journey continues. Treatment, however, will not be an ongoing process. Instead, your treatment specialist will ensure that you are in rehab as long as you need to be in order to gain freedom from addiction.
What Will My Life Be Like Once Treatment is Over?
Once your treatment program has ended, you will be able to live a life full of new possibilities! It is difficult to be healthy while struggling with substance dependence. Recovery provides individuals with the necessary tools to pursue emotional, mental, and physical health.
Recovery also comes with its fair share of challenges and victories. Individuals can continue to get support and guidance through support groups. So, if you are concerned about this new chapter, know that there is so much to look forward to!
Contact Free by the Sea Today!
You don’t have to wait any longer! Now is the time to take a step forward, leaving addiction in the past. Just reach out to us here at Free by the Sea today. Allow us to walk with you and keep you encouraged as you move away from a life of bondage. We look forward to helping you find your way to a new and healthier version of yourself!