(DBT) Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Washington State
Located in the State of Washington, Free by the Sea uses dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) to treat alcohol addiction, drug addiction, and other mental health issues.
Serving the Nation, based in the Pacific Northwest.
Dialectical behavior therapy provides a new approach to treating substance abuse and mental health issues. Free by the Sea is one of the few treatment centers in the country with a DBT program that integrates mental health with substance abuse treatments. Our dialectical behavior therapy is ideal for the person who wants to address the following:
- Daily management of emotions
- People who have difficulty achieving success using traditional types of therapy
- Traumatic experiences such as grief, accidents, or abuse
- Addiction combined with mental health issues
- Issues of low self-worth, self-abuse, or self-harm
- Adults who are struggling to deal with trauma that occurred during childhood. Some examples of childhood trauma include the addiction of a parent, abuse, or loss.
- People suffering from PTSD, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, and borderline personality disorder
How Is Dialectical Behavior Therapy Different?
Dr. Marsha Linehan, a prominent psychologist at the University of Washington, developed DBT after years of extensive research. Dr. Linehan’s specialty is in difficult-to-treat patients, and she developed DBT when she discovered that traditional therapeutic techniques were not effective treatments for her patients.
Many differences exist between the approaches used in traditional therapy and DBT. DBT helps patients manage complex emotions without needing to answer a host of questions. The approach involves individual and group therapy sessions in an attempt to ease people into the treatment process. Dialectical behavior therapy gives patients’ tools for everyday living that helps them manage their lives and addiction.
DBT is also different from traditional cognitive behavior therapy in the following ways
- DBT teaches patients how to handle their emotions.
- Patients learn to accept the events that happen in their life and manage their day-to-day struggles and trauma.
- DBT does not attempt to make the patient become another person. This form of therapy accepts people for who they are as a person.
- Patients who use this form of therapy learn how to relate to other people and understand themselves.
What Are the Goals of Dialectical Behavior Therapy?
Dialectical behavior therapy aims to help people achieve inner peace by encouraging people to come to terms with their emotions and how they interact with the world. DBT teaches life skills that are based on Buddhist principles and traditional psychotherapy techniques. DBT helps patients in the following four areas:
- Mindfulness: Patients learn to have an appreciation for their current reality through the acceptance of people and situations.
- Emotional Regulation: Patients learn how to deal with their mood changes and how to make better decisions.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Patients learn to establish healthy boundaries when dealing with difficult situations and people.
- Distress Tolerance: Patients are taught to deal with traumatic situations and upheavals in their lives and learn how to manage the feelings that cause discomfort.
Free by the Sea is a beautiful campus, located on the Long Beach Peninsula in Ocean Park, WA. Our community of dedicated professionals are committed to provide care to all individuals with dignity and respect. Client centered care respectful of individual needs and concerns is the foundation of our approach. We adhere to evidence-based practices which are focused on successful outcomes for long term recovery. Services provided include:
- 77 treatment beds.
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselors, including licensed Mental Health Therapists.
- High quality evidence-based addiction treatment, including gambling.
- DBT, CBT, EMDR and trauma informed treatment addresses underlying issues of addiction that include depression, anxiety, self-esteem and relationships.
- Relapse Prevention, Life Skills, Addiction education provided in groups and individual sessions
- Twelve step meetings include celebrate recovery, wellbriety, dual disorder and AA/NA/GA
- We offer residential, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient levels of care.
- Peaceful and safe setting located on five acres facing the Pacific Ocean.
- Multi-sport areas that include volleyball/basketball courts and an exercise room.
- Nutritionally designed meals to restore health
Don’t Wait. Call Today.
You have many reasons to enter our treatment center to receive dialectical behavior therapy. If you allow your addiction to continue without treatment, drugs or alcohol may destroy your entire life. To find out more about Free by the Sea can help you, please call us today at (360) 777-7050.
Contact Free by the Sea
If you, or a loved one, are dealing with any of the issues mentioned above, dialectical behavior therapy can help you. Please contact us at Free by the Sea, located in the State of Washington, to find out how we can help you.